About Ethical and Sustainable Jewelry
Proud members of Ethical Metalsmiths
- No new mining
- Re-use materials
- Minimize energy use and carbon footprints
- Respect person-hood and human dignity
- Support industry leaders in transforming policy
- Use audited and trusted sourcing partners
- Support craftspeople and historically important techniques
- Give back to Oakland; we specifically contribute philanthropically to organizations dedicated to youth of color having access to arts and creative-trades education and volunteer time to literacy mentoring with elementary-age english language learning students
Our diamonds are post consumer recycled antique diamonds dating back to the early 1800's to 1950's. Diamonds from this era have unique faceting standards called Old Mine Cut (sometimes referred to as 'Old Miner'), Old European Cut, and Transitional Cut. Their historical relevance and legacy of craft is unsurpassed only by their beauty.
Grading standards of our antique diamonds are identical to those of modern cut diamonds and come with GIA or EGL grading reports.
- They are rare, unique and stunning, mating seamlessly with the aesthetic style of Kate Ellen's work
- Contribute to no new mining projects (like Canadian diamonds)
- Not energy intensive (like lab-created stones)
- Not involved in conflict (many diamonds labeled 'conflict-free' under The Kimberly Process are in fact involved with layers of problematic sourcing and trade issues).
Our gemstones are preferred recycled, or fair-trade mined from conflict free regions. We work with dealers who travel direct to mine sites to ensure environmental and human safety.
Our metals are recycled whenever possible. We have zero waste in-studio practices and work to use metals from certified dealers of recycled or fair-trade mined metal.
Our cutting and re-polishing is done by adult craftspeople with long legacies of high quality handwork.
Audited sourcing partners are also important to us, that's why we prioritize partnering with companies that have been audited and approved by SCS Global Services, the leader in setting the standards of sustainability across an array of industries.